Version 1.23

Vavoom news.

Version 1.23

Postby Janis Legzdinsh » 01 May 2007 14:46

Version 1.23 of Vavoom has been releases today. It's been quite some time since last release, but finally it's here. Changes in this release:

- Implemented support for model definition files. It uses XML format, but it's quite simple.
- Finally added back dehacked support to the engine.
- Implemented support for TARRAIN script.
- Implemented support for LOADACS script.
- Rewrote the whole game network protocol. it's now more advanced and makes it easier to write network game code.
- Fixed wrong wad markers for high-resolution textures.
- Implemented switching of the game language.
- Added some new features to the VavoomC language such as restricted class types, access of default values of an object or class, C# style properties.
- Multiple bug fixes and improvements.
Janis Legzdinsh
Site Admin

Re: Version 1.23

Postby Crimson Wizard » 02 May 2007 07:46

Janis Legzdinsh wrote:- Added some new features to the VavoomC language such as restricted class types, access of default values of an object or class, C# style properties.

OMG :lol: VavoomC#? Cool! :)
Crimson Wizard

Postby scen » 02 May 2007 17:46

Great 8)

What a massive list of updates :shock:

In last weeks i can't tested so much the work-in-progress sources, but now the time is arrived :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks a lot Janis for this new release! :wink:
scen

Postby gunrock » 02 May 2007 23:02

Great work Janiz!

Also how do you implement those new model types in Vavoom? What game uses the XML model format?
gunrock

Postby Firebrand » 03 May 2007 16:13

If you download the new versions of the model packs and XWE you can check how model definitions work from there, I'll be updating the Wiki ASAP with the new stuff ;).
Firebrand

Postby The 4th Class » 03 May 2007 23:44

Ah yes, as usual, each new Vavoom release brings a fresh new list of bugs reports for me. :evil:

1: I think the blood sprites were oversized. Whenever I use spiked gauntlets on an enemy, I get these weird huge red circles near the centre of the sprite.

2: Freezes when I try to run my all-famous DR castle map, without giving any report. (The last Vavoom release, v1.22.1 IIRC, ran it alright).

3: Crashed once with this report:
Code: Select all
Reference not set to an instance of an object

Stack trace: (svprogs.Weapon.A_Lower) <- RunFunction <- (svprogs.Weapon.A_Lower 10) <- VObject::ExecuteFunction <- (svprogs.Weapon.A_Lower) <- VBasePlayer::SetViewState <- RunFunctoin <- (engine.BasePlayer.AdvanceViewStates 0) <- RunFunction <- (svprogs.Player.MovePsprites 2) <- RunFunction <- (svprogs.Player.DeathPlayerTick 2) <- RunFunction <- (svprogs.Player.PlayerTick 130) <- VObject::ExecuteFunction <- (svprogs.Player.PlayerTick) <- SV_RunClients <- SV_Ticker <- ServerFrame <-Host_Frame

4: And you still haven't fixed the MUS-runtime bug I mentioned! Drum tracks are forced to start at 0:00, as opposed to where they should start (say, around 0:03, perhaps just after a pick-up note).

5: Print and printbold outputs should both be in different colours.

6: The relative volumes among different sounds is ridiculously out of balance (compare the deafening thud of quitting the menu to the silent mage's sapphire wand).

7: (Actually, this glitch refers to all Vavoom releases, not just this new one) All changes to default settings (anything from movement controls to custom WAD dir to renderer, you name it) are saved only when you quit Vavoom the normal way (with F10). Gets really annoying when I just adjust the new controls to my liking to go bug-hunting, then crash and all my changes are lost.
The 4th Class

Postby Janis Legzdinsh » 05 May 2007 15:18

The 4th Class wrote:Ah yes, as usual, each new Vavoom release brings a fresh new list of bugs reports for me. :evil:

1: I think the blood sprites were oversized. Whenever I use spiked gauntlets on an enemy, I get these weird huge red circles near the centre of the sprite.

Try setting gl_ext_point_parameters to 0 (be sure to run command vid_restart to apply changes).

2: Freezes when I try to run my all-famous DR castle map, without giving any report. (The last Vavoom release, v1.22.1 IIRC, ran it alright).

It loads just fine. Because of the huge number of torches it takes some time to load, if your PC is not very powerfull, this time can be quite long.

Stack trace: (svprogs.Weapon.A_Lower) <- RunFunction <- (svprogs.Weapon.A_Lower 10) <- VObject::ExecuteFunction <- (svprogs.Weapon.A_Lower) <- VBasePlayer::SetViewState <- RunFunctoin <- (engine.BasePlayer.AdvanceViewStates 0) <- RunFunction <- (svprogs.Player.MovePsprites 2) <- RunFunction <- (svprogs.Player.DeathPlayerTick 2) <- RunFunction <- (svprogs.Player.PlayerTick 130) <- VObject::ExecuteFunction <- (svprogs.Player.PlayerTick) <- SV_RunClients <- SV_Ticker <- ServerFrame <-Host_Frame

Is it reproduceable?

4: And you still haven't fixed the MUS-runtime bug I mentioned! Drum tracks are forced to start at 0:00, as opposed to where they should start (say, around 0:03, perhaps just after a pick-up note).

Could be a problem with qmus2mid. Try to use MIDI files instead of MUS files to see if they play correctly.

5: Print and printbold outputs should both be in different colours.

I know.

6: The relative volumes among different sounds is ridiculously out of balance (compare the deafening thud of quitting the menu to the silent mage's sapphire wand).

Will have to work on it.

7: (Actually, this glitch refers to all Vavoom releases, not just this new one) All changes to default settings (anything from movement controls to custom WAD dir to renderer, you name it) are saved only when you quit Vavoom the normal way (with F10). Gets really annoying when I just adjust the new controls to my liking to go bug-hunting, then crash and all my changes are lost.

This is more like an safety feature in a case it crashes because of a bad setting.
Janis Legzdinsh
Site Admin

Postby Crimson Wizard » 05 May 2007 17:00

Janis Legzdinsh wrote:

Is it reproduceable?

In fact, I met this crash in a number of situations in earlier versions, but I couldn't find any logic in this.
Crimson Wizard

Postby Firebrand » 05 May 2007 19:48

Yes, this bug is present in KA too, but I've been trying to find the problem for a while and I was unable to determine what causes it.

@4th Class: You can greatly reduce the amount of time you wait for your map to load if you run glVIS on it (It'll take a while to complete it too, but you'll see a big difference while loading the map).

@Janis: I've found problems with normal midi files too, KA has a couple of examples of this problems.
Firebrand

Re: Version 1.23

Postby scen » 28 May 2007 12:23

Janis Legzdinsh wrote:- Implemented switching of the game language.

Can you give me some functional details about it? I could try to make an Italian Translation for the language data file 8)
scen

Postby Firebrand » 29 May 2007 13:02

I'll be updating the Wiki later today with the details ;).
Firebrand

Return to News