Running on LAN

Talk about network games here.

Running on LAN

Postby Crimson Wizard » 16 Aug 2006 10:06

I tried to run Korax Arena on LAN but failed. Joining game simply cannot find vavoom server.
(I hope KA uses same networking mechanism as common Vavoom) Can you explain, please, what I need to configure then to run the game successfully? Also what exactly should be written into "join game at" field?

NOTE: we succesfully play Counter-Strike on this LAN.
Crimson Wizard

Re: Running on LAN

Postby Janis Legzdinsh » 16 Aug 2006 15:52

Crimson Wizard wrote:I tried to run Korax Arena on LAN but failed. Joining game simply cannot find vavoom server.
(I hope KA uses same networking mechanism as common Vavoom) Can you explain, please, what I need to configure then to run the game successfully?

Start a network game on one of the computers (this will be the server), on other go to "Join Game" and then to "Search for games...". It should appear in the list, select it and press enter to join. If it can't find, you can use "join game at".

Crimson Wizard wrote:Also what exactly should be written into "join game at" field?

Hostname or IP address of the server you want to connect to.
Janis Legzdinsh
Site Admin

Re: Running on LAN

Postby Crimson Wizard » 16 Aug 2006 16:13

Janis Legzdinsh wrote:
Crimson Wizard wrote:I tried to run Korax Arena on LAN but failed. Joining game simply cannot find vavoom server.
(I hope KA uses same networking mechanism as common Vavoom) Can you explain, please, what I need to configure then to run the game successfully?

Start a network game on one of the computers (this will be the server), on other go to "Join Game" and then to "Search for games...". It should appear in the list, select it and press enter to join. If it can't find, you can use "join game at".

Well, that is obvious. But don't we need to specify some network config parameters like -ip or -port and such?
(Unfortunately cannot test again right now)
Crimson Wizard

Postby Janis Legzdinsh » 16 Aug 2006 16:34

If you want to use a different port, use console command "port". Use -ip option if Vavoom can't properly detect your IP address (only server needs this).
Janis Legzdinsh
Site Admin

Return to Networking