Preliminary Beta 2 report

Beta version release anouncements and bug reports

Preliminary Beta 2 report

Postby quattj » 07 Mar 2002 06:03

Just from poking around for a bit yesterday, these are thing I found with Vavoom 1.1... ummmm.... beta 2... yeah, that was it...<br><br>ANYWAY....<br><br>***************************************<br>                            THE GOOD                                 <br>***************************************<br><br>These things are all fixed now.  YEAY!   ;D<br><br>
Hexen: <br>  The poisoning of the character doesn't seem to work right with the flechettes and whatever else poisons you.  When you get poisoned, the first choke takes away a chunk of life, but after that, while the health is supposed to be going down, it doesn't (while the screen is still green from being poisoned). <br>
<br>***** Beta 2: fixed *****<br> <br>
 Any of the areas of the game that have "rippling" sectors do not ripple (wave action)... the bridge in the last board [MAP40] and the rippling slime in MAP08. <br>
<br>***** Beta 2: Fixed *****<br>Is there a "hack" (for lack of a better word) you could implement to texturize the sides of the moving sectors so they aren't all lit up in between?<br> <br>
Heretic (addendum) <br>  The ending text messages appear to be either spaced too largely or have a font that is too big.  The text at the end of E3M8 and E4M8 runs off the bottom of the screen so you can't read it all. <br>
<br>***** Beta 2: Fixed *****<br><br>
- The "Search for games" in Heretic (other games it works fine) gives this: <br>Segmentation violation <br>Stack trace (MenuSlist_Draw) <- TProgs::ExecuteFunction <- (MN_Drawer) <- Host_Frame <br>***** can't check... not accessable *****<br>
<br>***** Beta 2: Fixed *****<br> <br>
-  Should the Search for Games option allow you to join the game by pushing Enter when the game name is selected?  At the moment, it does not.  If it's not supposed to, consider this a "Feature suggestion"    <br>***** can't check... not accessable *****<br>
<br>***** Beta 2: Fixed *****<br> <br>
All: <br>- Can't go to name in multiplayer setup<br>- Selecting Join Game gives:<br>   Segmentation Violation<br>   Stack trace: (MenuScreen.CreateChoices) <- tProgs:ExecuteFunction <- (MN_Responder) <- Host_Frame<br>- Same error when going to Multiplayer Setup in Hexen<br>
<br>***** Beta 2: Fixed *****<br><br><br>
quattj

Re: Preliminary Beta 2 report

Postby quattj » 07 Mar 2002 06:20

******************************<br>                      THE BAD<br>******************************<br><br>These is still broked  :(<br><br>
- The music pitch goes up after playing the fiirst measure or two, making some of it sound quite... well, harsh   (Particularly noticable in the first level of Doom) <br>
<br>Only in Doom?  The music in Heretic all seems fine, as does the music (what I've heard of it anyway :P) in Hexen...<br> <br>
- I think someone already mentioned the faded sound for the pistol and other weapons. <br>
<br>I tried with 3D audio enabled and disabled.  It *almost* works with 3D audio enabled, but still cuts out sometimes.  Usually it'll come back.  With 3D audio disabled the sounds fade and never come back.<br><br>
Sometimes when there is a room with a sky texture, and then a room nearby with a higher ceiling than the sky in the first room, you can see parts of the second room that are above the skyline.<br>
<br>No rush on this.  Just had to put it here so I don't forget some day far from now :)<br><br>
Getting squished by the four sliding doors in the first level of Hexen sends the character into the floor with a  <br>"sqrt: Domain Error" error message that repeatedly pops up, making me have to kill the game    <br>***** NOT FIXED... GAME STILL DIES, BUT DIFFERENTLY *****<br>
<br>Only the horizontal squishing is broken.  The vertical crushing blocks near the key in the first board kill me just fine :)<br><br>
Sprite flickering<br>
<br>At least I know it's not an OpenGl thing... software as well.  But I think you told me why it does this.<br> <br>
The portals themselves are messed up a bit.  The frame graphic inside of the portals is offset, and most of it is black.  The red animated portal graphic is there, just behind the black wall. <br>***** NOT FIXED *****<br>
<br><br>
Heretic: <br>  Possibly related to the portal graphics bug for Hexen, the blue exit teleport sparkles do not appear in the exits of some levels, such as E2M8 and E4M8. <br>***** NOT FIXED *****<br>
<br><br>
Doom 2: <br>  In the last level (MAP30) when you run out into the room with the end badguy wall, no matter what, he notices you in the original version of Doom 2.  This happens even if you have no clipping turned on.  In Vavoom, he only notices you if no clipping is turned off.  I believe there was some special lindef tag they used in the original for this. <br>***** NOT FIXED *****<br>
<br> <br>
 When using the MAP console command, if a valid map name is not entered, any attempt to load a valid level afterwards will crash whatever game is running. <br>***** FIXED... or not... still crashed Hexen *****<br>
<br><br>
In Hexen, from the first board it (multiplayer time limit) tried to put us into "MAP 2" instead of "MAP02", thus the game died.  Does it properly handle the crazy board numbers for Hexen? <br>***** NOT FIXED *****<br>
<br>This is what it spews forth at me:<br>  Spawning server 2<br>  Host_Error: Map 2 not found <br> <br>
Seems the ArchVile in Doom 2 creates unkillable baddies.  Anything it resurrects becomes indestructable, making him one real mean punk   <br>***** NOT FIXED *****<br>
<br> <br>
Heretic:<br>- Glitter "bangs into" things, like dead bodies in e3m8<br>
<br>Piles up under the dead guys feetsies  ;D<br>
Doom 2:<br>- Archvile can fling you into "bad" places<br>
<br>It may just be in that particular room in the O of Destruction (if that's what it's called)  He actually just flings you up on the barrels, and the "problem" may just be that your head ends up in the ceiling for a bit  8)
quattj

Postby quattj » 07 Mar 2002 06:28

*****************************************<br>          And THE OOGLY<br>*****************************************<br><br>New bugs, and maybe one I just never noticed before  ;)<br><br>Heretic:<br>- Tome of power doesn't work<br>   It activates, but doesn't do anything.<br><br>Hexen:<br>- Dark Servent<br>  Trying to use it in multiplayer gives:<br>         "MOBJ ALREADY DESTROYED"<br>  in single player:<br>   (Actor.RoughBlockCheck) <- TProgs::ExecuteFunction <- (RunThink) <- P_Ticker <- ServerFrame <- Host_Frame<br>- MOBJ ALREADY DESTROYED in map08 when demons burst from jars<br><br>(Seems like scripts that create objects (imps in bottles, dark servants, floating blue thingies for the bridge at the end of the second board) run multiple times)<br><br>Heretic and Hexen:<br>- Multiplayer kills... killing self brings to 255 instead of -1<br><br><br><br><br>Und das ist all.  I'll tack on anything else I find, be it good or bad.<br>Like this:<br><br>Maplist command is very nice... thanks  ;D<br>And so is the pad enter...<br>
quattj

Postby quattj » 09 Mar 2002 06:16

Another to add...<br><br>Heretic:<br>- Starting a board when you have the Wings of Wrath makes you automatically use it.  I don't know if it's board related or just happens anytime you don't start on the main floor.  I get it when beginning E1M3 (when you start on a raised platform) after picking up the wings in the secret area of E1M2.
quattj

Postby RambOrc » 09 Mar 2002 07:18

If you mean that every time you exit a Heretic map and enter a new one your unused Wings of Wrath are activated and expunged from your inventory, this is a standard feature of the original Heretic (it'd unbalance level flow greatly if you could carry the Wings from one level to the next).
RambOrc
Site Admin

Postby quattj » 10 Mar 2002 10:22

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle  :o<br>I forgot all about that  :P<br><br>So, I guess I'll have to change my problem then.<br>I guess Vavoom needs to be updated to just drop the wings from the inventory.  When going to the next board, it activates them instead, thus allowing, like you said, some very uhhh... unbalanced... playing at the beginnings of levels where you picked up the wings in the previous level.  At the moment, I could fly up to the top of the beginning of the third board in Heretic and bypass well near half of it  ;D  Sure makes my job easier  ;)
quattj

Postby RambOrc » 10 Mar 2002 21:22

If you mean E3M1, there is another design error in there, if you use the -turbo command line to run faster, you can speed across the lake and land on the other side w/o having to open the yellow and green doors first.
RambOrc
Site Admin

Return to Beta testing