Unholy Heritage

News of various Vavoom projects.

Postby Firebrand » 18 Jan 2006 17:04

I'll wait then ;), as for the demo map, I really haven't seen it, I'll download it ASAP and give it a check, you are doing a good work with these maps :).
Firebrand

Postby Crimson Wizard » 19 Jan 2006 11:19

:shock: Man, I've got 2.53 Ghz processor and 128MB video card, but in some areas on my new map FPS is just AWFUL! I can imagine to have such in some resource-eater like Doom3, but not on my rather simply-constructed small Vavoom map. :? It seems that there's something bad with the way how it generates player's view or vis data.
Crimson Wizard

Postby Firebrand » 19 Jan 2006 16:06

In my short experience building Vavoom maps, you should try to follow this suggestions I'm giving you now :).

-Never place static lightning over a moving sector, this will make the engine to recalculate the VIS data which is a very expensive process.
    -Try not to overlap various light sources (a maximum of 2 or 3 overlapped lights is enough to kill the FPS rate).
    -Try to make small radius light sources (nothing more than 200 units).
    -And last but not least, try to always rebuild the VIS data with glVIS.exe (which can be downloaded from the Vavoom homepage), even when the Vavoom produces the VIS data file in-game, you ALWAYS must do it using the standalone glVIS version, it will take A LOT of time, but when you play your game, the FPS rate won't suffer that much.
Hope this suggestions help you, and happy editing! :D.
Firebrand

Postby Crimson Wizard » 20 Jan 2006 09:32

Hmmm... well, I've got overlapping 2 differently colored lights (common and colored-red) in about of dozen of places, plus there are polyobjects working as doors, and ofcourse they are lit by static lights. pfffff... :?
But I do not want to give up with all this. It looks cool and I want it! :wink:

Ok, I'll try glVIS. Let's see, whether it solve this problem.

EDIT: Well, it really helped, but in specific way. Seems that it have broken map into more segments. Earlier game slowed down on about 50% of map, now it slows only in one lengthy hallway (you may see it on a screenshot I gave a link to above). Thankfully, there are no enemies in that part of map.
Heh, I turned fps counter on and was totally overwhelmed. I thought I got about 20-25 fps, but it appeared that it drops down to 8-9 fps. :o
In other places its fast - 40, sometimes 60 fps.
Crimson Wizard

Postby Firebrand » 20 Jan 2006 14:29

Just try to follow the suggestions I posted, that should make the game run mostly fine, polyobjects lit by static lights consume lots of process power, so try to be careful with those.
Firebrand

Postby Crimson Wizard » 23 Jan 2006 13:40

I'll upload my new project's version either later today or tomorrow's morning.

EDIT (24 jan 2006): Ugh, seem it'll be _tomorrow_'s morning again... :) need to update to version 1.19.1 plus make some fixes.
Crimson Wizard

Postby Crimson Wizard » 25 Jan 2006 08:45

Well, finally I updated my project. I have repacked data using common vavoom game style and changed archives' contents available for download.
Now there are MOD, progs and maps archives placed separately (MOD archive includes progs as well, but written in wad0.wad).
Also there is now full UH source available, just in case someone wants to know how my mod's feature's work (I wish I knew whether I have to include GNU license text?).

About maps. There are three archives.

General (Scenario maps) are my main maps, but now they seem rather primitive to me, after I tried 3dfloors & 3dlighting.

Then, there is an archive with map 10 remake demo, which I planned to be a future subst for map 10 from general maps pack. Actually I divided it into 2 maps (they are 10 & 11). They both use 3dfloors. 1st one (10) is large, but rather simple. 2nd is smaller, but is more detailed (I suppose this is my first map for Vavoom Hexen where I finally succeed in good design). I strongly recommend to build full vis data (!!!) for those two, because otherwise they may run slow and require much RAM.
I wish also notice. There is a small secret on the 1st map. It is simple, but specific, hidden as classic detective writers suggest - so that it is quite in plain view, but still not easy to detect (or at least I hope that it looks rather close to this description). I just want to know, whether one can find it. If you find it you'll surely know it.

Then, there is Little demo map, just for fun. enjoy.
Crimson Wizard

Postby Crimson Wizard » 27 Jan 2006 13:11

I have added links to http://www.bigupload.com server on my project's downloads page, so if you have problems downloading some archives directly from my site, try that links.
Crimson Wizard

Postby Firebrand » 27 Jan 2006 19:54

I've got the latest version, you should really try to set up a key for faster access to the characters stats (like the "u" key in KMod), as for the maps that I hadn
Firebrand

Postby Janis Legzdinsh » 11 Feb 2006 15:41

Finnaly I also downloaded it. Nice work.
Janis Legzdinsh
Site Admin

Postby Crimson Wizard » 01 Mar 2006 14:37

Ugh, hello people. :) Just came for a moment to look whatis going on here.

Unfortunately, I have to freeze my project for undefinable time due several reasons (including technical, time, and also some other things of great interest that I am currently working with). I really just do not know how much it can take me to return to my project, sorry.
Crimson Wizard

Postby Mago KH » 13 Apr 2006 23:54

Yeah, but don't go away for long! ;)
Mago KH

Re: Unholy Heritage

Postby Crimson Wizard » 20 Apr 2008 13:43

Huh, this was quite a long time, I am not yet sure I will ever revive this project; in any case it will require total recoding, from scratch (Vavoom changed significantly from version 1.19.1); also, to say truth, 90% of maps I made were weak, and hadn't take an advantage of Vavoom features like 3d floors.
Anyway, I have an urge to restore last map I made for this project, which I think is most good of all (at least I was finally able to get good style and use of 3d features), its the one on screenshots here:
viewtopic.php?p=6096#p6096

I am thinking about making a small project based on latest Vavoom version, this will require only to add couple of custom monsters to run that map. Might be it will grow afterwards, but once again, I am not sure and do not have any such plans at the moment.
Crimson Wizard

Postby Firebrand » 20 Apr 2008 15:39

Why not just release it as a new map? You could use DECORATE to make your new monsters, that would make it easier to run through newer versions :), just an opinion here.
Firebrand

Postby Crimson Wizard » 20 Apr 2008 18:25

Firebrand wrote:Why not just release it as a new map? You could use DECORATE to make your new monsters, that would make it easier to run through newer versions :), just an opinion here.

Unfortunately one monster there uses custom teleportation movement, I am not sure DECORATE will be enouph to make him.
Crimson Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Project news