Unholy Heritage

News of various Vavoom projects.

Unholy Heritage

Postby Crimson Wizard » 05 Jan 2006 16:06

Well, first of all, small notice about my project's name. I started to create my add-on BEFORE I heard abot Korax'es Heritage, and my project's name IS NOT a plagiarism. It is just an occasional coincidence. :D

Now. Here is a small page I dedicated for my project:

http://www.shadowweaver.narod.ru/unheir/unheir.htm

I just think that there is something (just something, no more) to look at.
I especially wish anyone to see my crazy 3d map, which I haven't yet included to general maps package:

http://www.shadowweaver.narod.ru/unheir ... /uh_10.zip
(it needs additional confirmation to download)

And please say what do you think about Torture Chamber there :twisted:
Last edited by Crimson Wizard on 18 Jan 2006 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
Crimson Wizard

Postby Firebrand » 12 Jan 2006 14:12

I can't download the unheir.zip file correctly, the download is very slow for me and when it finally seems to finish, the file is smaller than what you point it is and winzip gives me an error when I open it, any suggestions Crimsom?
Firebrand

Re: Unholly Heritage

Postby CheapAlert » 12 Jan 2006 19:08

Crimson Wizard wrote:Well, first of all, small notice about my project's name. I started to create my add-on BEFORE I heard abot Korax'es Heritage, and my project's name IS NOT a plagiarism. It is just an occasional coincidence. :D

heh

i've made "Storm the Castle" at the same time FrikaC made "Storm the Castle" in 1999-2000. Both Quake projects, however with totally different directions.
CheapAlert

Postby Crimson Wizard » 13 Jan 2006 11:55

Firebrand wrote:I can't download the unheir.zip file correctly, the download is very slow for me and when it finally seems to finish, the file is smaller than what you point it is and winzip gives me an error when I open it, any suggestions Crimsom?

Oops. :oops:
First, about download speed - I surely need some other place to publish my project, since currently its on my homepage on one russian free-of-charge server, that sometimes has problems with connection. So, if you know where I may place it, please tell me!
Secondly. Yes, there is something bad with my archive. It lost about a half during uploading. I am going to fix this in following hours.

EDIT: done.

EDIT: :shock: Well, you know, there is something bizzare with that arhive. It is surelly uploaded with its full size, but sometimes when you click on it, it shows only 50% of size. I tried several times and sometimes it wanted to download 2,11 kbytes, other times - 1,2 kbytes. So, try following - if you will get a message of downloading 1,2 kb, just cancel it and try again, until it shows 2,11 kb.
Crimson Wizard

Postby Firebrand » 13 Jan 2006 12:56

Heh! You might need to change your host (at least for the files download, heh! ;)), it's ok, I'll try to download it again and see what happens, as for free download servers, I'll look around and give you some suggestions for it too :).
Firebrand

Postby Crimson Wizard » 13 Jan 2006 13:41

Ugh, everything is fixed now. I do not know why did that happened, but when I changed relative paths in my links to absolute all came to normal.

Anyway, if you have downloaded my game before I made my fixes, I wish to notice, that I've uploaded a new version of progs just half an hour ago - there are some fixes, including fixed Character Journal. If you download these progs (either in standalone archive, or in main archive) you may read some scenario notes from Character Log -> Journal option in the main menu.
Crimson Wizard

Postby Nuxius » 15 Jan 2006 10:59

Nuxius

Postby Crimson Wizard » 15 Jan 2006 12:17

Thank you.
I'll use that "bigupload", but a few days later, when I'll complete new versions of some files.
Crimson Wizard

Postby Firebrand » 15 Jan 2006 19:33

Hey Crimson Wizard! It's a really good work! I like what you got so far, heh! :)
Firebrand

Postby Crimson Wizard » 16 Jan 2006 11:46

Really? :o
Actually, I thought that it wouldn't be so exiting for a member of team, working under big projects for few years ( I mean your KH and SE and other). :wink:

Hey! And I just noticed that version 1.19 of Vavoom spoils mapinfo in some way. It seem to ignore all custom mapinfo data, including level names and custom skies... :(

And by the way, was you able to download map 02 and map 04 from my main maps WAD? It seems that my maps WAD is a bit out of date and it has wrong texture names, that were renamed in data WAD.
Crimson Wizard

Postby Firebrand » 16 Jan 2006 12:27

Well, it is, I know that if Ramborc could see your project, he might even suggest you join our team, heh! :P

No, really, it's a great project, I see you are really making an effort on the leveling/experience system, which looks cool, and for someone starting programming on Vavoom (like me :P), those multi paged logs and the experience system (even when I know it's a beta) are something cool!!

As for the maps, I could download them but I'm unable to play them so far, and I tought it was something I was doing wrong :oops: , there's a better way to pack your MOD Crimson, make a folder called "unheir" and put every wad you are using there named as "wad0.wad", "wad1.wad", etc. The wad0.wad file should contain all the data lumps needed for the MOD, this is MAPINFO, SNDINFO, PROGS, etc. in their modified versions, you can make wad1.wad and wad2.wad anything (textures, maps, sprites, anything!), and then run your MOD with this command line:
Code: Select all
Vavoom -game "directory name you used"

Oh, and before I forget, there's something called "games.txt" in your Vavoom "basev" folder, edit that file to just include hexen IWAD and that will automatically use the hexen basev contents and IWAD for you! just modify the game field with what your folder is called, that should make the trick!

If you have any problems or questions regarding this, feel free to ask them! :D. And good luck with this great project!
Firebrand

Postby Crimson Wizard » 16 Jan 2006 15:21

Hmm.. that's really strange you can not play my maps. I thought that batch file I included into archive must make it work. Haven't you read 'Installation' section in my readme file?

And then, how did you used my mod anyway? Just played original Hexen using only UH progs?

Well, and I will surelly pack all my game as you said. I didn't done this before since it is easier for me to work with my wads as they currently are.

And my project isn't even beta. :wink: It is too incompleted to be called beta.

Firebrand wrote:I know that if Ramborc could see your project, he might even suggest you join our team, heh!

I am not really sure that I can join you (even if I wish) :wink: . I have not much free time now, and I'll have even less in nearest future.

EDIT: May be I know what was your problem running my map. I wrote vunheir.bat so that it seeks hexen.wad in root Vavoom folder. Maybe your hexen.wad is positioned elsewhere? If it is, just edit vunheir.bat and change text "hexen.wad" on path to your hexen.wad.
Crimson Wizard

Postby Firebrand » 17 Jan 2006 16:45

I think my post wasn't clear about why I can't play the maps, when I try to play map02 of your mod it exits saying something about a missing texture, let me find the error... here it is:

Code: Select all
Dev: Spawning server map02
Log: Host_Error: TFNumForName: uhs1_off not found

I think there's some patch or texture missing or renamed in your wad.
Firebrand

Postby CheapAlert » 17 Jan 2006 22:02

also for the record, it's Unholy. Note the missing extra letter L.
CheapAlert

Postby Crimson Wizard » 18 Jan 2006 13:03

CheapAlert wrote:also for the record, it's Unholy. Note the missing extra letter L.

Ouch... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Yeah, my mistake.

Firebrand wrote:I think my post wasn't clear about why I can't play the maps, when I try to play map02 of your mod it exits saying something about a missing texture

Yeah, yeah, that's it. I already mentioned this above. That's because I uploaded new version of main data WAD but left old version of maps WAD. Well, two notices:
1) Since not all of my maps are already bound by teleporters, you may jump to whatever maps you want using "map mapXX" console command. Existing maps are listed in my readme, they are: 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 09 and 10. Map 06 and 09 are just scratches, there's almost nothing. But maps 02,03,04,05 and (especially!!) 10 have some place to travel. You are also free to use any cheats, because I haven't placed much items there yet.
2) Missing texture - "uhs1_off" is a Heretic-style switch texture, it is used in maps 02 and 04. You may wait until I upload new versions of WADs (and progs) without such mistake (I'll do this as soon as I finish making demo version of map 10 remake and also some new progs features, maybe in 2-3 days.). OR you may manually rename these textures on my maps. You may use Doom Builder there to find and replace texture names. The texture, as I remember, should be named "UHSW1OFF".

And, anyway, haven't you seen my Little Demo Map, where I made a possibility to test my RPG system by gathering experience and paying skill points for abilities upgrade, and Map 10 remake demo where I test 3dfloors and where the terrific Torture Chamber is located?

EDIT:
Heh, and check this:
http://www.shadowweaver.narod.ru/unheir/shots2.htm

:) Soon this will be available for download.
Crimson Wizard

Next

Return to Project news