Doom Wad Explorer

News of various Vavoom projects.

Doom Wad Explorer

Postby Karnizero » 16 Dec 2008 17:16

Im developing a small tool to allow us all to have a well organized database, containing a sorted list of the wads on our Hard Disk.

I'm using Visual Basic Enterprise to programm it.
We can say that it's finished, in a BETA version. The main features are:

-> Import any wad on our Hard Disk to the Database, with the possibility to add a single WAD file, or al files on the selected directory:

-> WAD search by different filters, such as file name and/or extension (WAD, PAK and PK3):

-> We can modify the "default" WAD description, valoracion, name, downloading data and more, with an easy to handle interface. We can also give a certain valoration to that WAD, so we can know if that wad was nice or not:

-> Other features are: Database checking for consistency problems. Deleting all database elements, adding new WADs to the database from scratch (this is, writting by ourselves the wad name, directory, etc...), delete single items from the Database, launch the selected WAD with a custom source-port, customizing certain mouse actions (for example, double-clicking on a element to launch it, to modify, to delete, or whatever we want), lots of user preferences (now checking for some unspected errors), exit application (yet an important thing 8) ).

Although this is all working propertly, i will not release nothing at the moment, cause im trying to implement a couple more features that i want, and i had that idea from the first time:

-> Possibility to connect to an internet server (for example Doomworld) to check and download PWADs from there.
-> Create a kind of Masterserver, with a list of all servers arround all world, so we can check and download PWADs from other users.
-> Dedicated server, allowing other users to get the PWADs on our computer.
-> Skins.
-> Multimedia features: screenshot viewer, easy demo playback, and some more complementary features.

If someon likes this "online" part of the application, i can try to implement. If not, i prefer not to spend my time on that, cause that is not a simple task.
In this case, i will release the program as is, without online options, just only database handle options etc...

Thanks for your attention.
Enjoy.
Karnizero

Re: Doom Wad Explorer

Postby Xylon » 22 Dec 2008 18:42

6 day bump. OMG. Anyways surprised no one commented on this. Looks good, and a good way to not mix up your wad files. Looking forward to this! :yummy:
Xylon

Postby Firebrand » 25 Dec 2008 22:50

I think it's looking nice so far :), it looks to be useful for sorting stuff and managing big directories filled with wad files, heh! Does it also support PK3 files?
Firebrand

Postby Karnizero » 29 Dec 2008 10:40

Firebrand wrote:I think it's looking nice so far :), it looks to be useful for sorting stuff and managing big directories filled with wad files, heh! Does it also support PK3 files?

WAD, PK3 and PAK.
You may filter the files names by extension.
Karnizero

Postby Firebrand » 29 Dec 2008 15:08

It would be cool to have the online browser too, it would make it more complete IMO.
Firebrand

Postby StrykerK » 29 Dec 2008 17:37

Yeah, this all looks good. Keep up the good work, I'd like to see this finished. :wink:
StrykerK

Postby Karnizero » 30 Dec 2008 13:11

Firebrand wrote:It would be cool to have the online browser too, it would make it more complete IMO.

The problem is that i have no idea on how to access the (for example) DoomWorld PWADs lists.
Karnizero

Return to Project news